Tuesday, January 3, 2012

A (Not So) Dry Run...

My alarm went off this morning at 7:10am. Early for me. (Don't hate.) I would have set it even earlier, but I decided as I set my alarm last night that I was too tired to get up and shower and dry my hair before 7:30. I had a "Bachelor" hangover - two hours of drama and tears wore me out. So what was the occasion, you ask? Today was our first "dry run" of a school morning!

Our mornings will never be the same. Poor Brian, I had to wake him up this morning! But 7:30 will be the new wake up time for the Leong children. We were up, dressed, ate breakfast and had teeth brushed by 8:10. The drop off time is 8:45 so Brian and I left at 8:20 just in case we hit rush hour traffic. With traffic, we were there by 8:30. A little too early. I think we'll try again one other day this week so we can nail down the best time to leave the house.

When we pulled into the school parking lot, I explained to Brian that this would be his school. That I'd drop him off here to meet his teacher and his friends - and then I'd come back to pick him up so he could tell me all about his day. That, dear readers, was my big mistake of the morning. Why would I ever say something like that?? Brian is three - clearly he didn't realize I was talking about SIX DAYS from now! So as the car started to drive towards home, he freaked. He wanted to stay because OF COURSE he thought I was dropping him off today. Bad Mommy move.

In order to cheer him up, I told him we could steal away to the Dunkin Donuts drive through and get a munchkin donut before we went home. He smiled and went back to playing a game on his iPad in the back seat. The Dunkin Donuts drive through is about fifteen minutes up a mountain with lots of twists and turns. We got his donut - and a coffee treat for me - and headed back home. But we didn't get far before I heard a VERY unfamiliar sound coming from Brian. I turned around just in time to see him vomit - everywhere. I had to make a decision. Should I stop and run around the car to help him? Should I just continue home and help him there? Both very painful decisions!! I decided to quickly head home. He was devastated that he threw up - and proceeded to throw up two more times. I was devastated to listen to him cry and point dramatically to his mouth, but knew if I stopped and went to him he'd want me to take him out and "fix things". I really had nothing in the car to "fix" anything! Not even a baby wipe!! I was confident that he just got car sick. Why? Because he also was very mad at me for taking his munchkin and proceeded to eat it after he calmed down. I guess iPad games combined with my bad driving will make a kid lose their breakfast. Lesson learned.

We got home and he was fine. I put him in the bath...took apart his car seat and washed it and then wiped down the entire back seat...and floor...and, well, pretty much everywhere else across the back row with a Clorox wipe. I am strangely proud to say, though, that this was Brian's very first time throwing up. Ever!

By the time that ordeal was over, it was lunch! And soon after, Miss Maggie was here for Gavin's speech therapy. She had a new idea for using his iPad. She thought that we should have one photo choice (we are only going to use photos of his own things) and another choice that does nothing. Today I just put up a photo of his Zoo toy...and left the other side blank.

When he touched the blank screen, nothing happened. It took him a while to figure out that touching that side got him nothing in return...

but once he "got it" he made consistent choices.

Tomorrow morning Brian and I will be out again. This time for his Cardiology appointment so they can evaluate his heart murmur. I've been told to allow a little over two hours for testing. And I'm not ashamed to say I'm a little nervous. I'm not used to having any medical issues with my little guy. I'll let you know how it goes tomorrow.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...